F.A.Q. or Frequently Asked Questions

Q: - Am I entitled to training at Russian institute/university?

A: As a rule, any foreign citizen having education background significant for university study in his/her country is entitled to enter Russian higher education establishments. To prove the legitimacy the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation had formed a special department, which considers documents of international applicants and gives out the conclusion about eligibility of training in Russia.

Q: - What documents are necessary to submit an application for admission to an institute / university?

A: Each institution establishes the list of necessary documents. Nevertheless, usually the application package includes the following:
- application form,
- a copy of the passport,
- a copy of the certificate on birth,
- a copy of the document(s) on previous education,
- a copy of the document on knowledge of Russian (if you apply for training in Russian language),
- an information about: home address (with the phone number); student/business address with phone and fax numbers; nearest Russian Embassy/Consulate where you will apply for a student visa.
- medical certificate (including results of the test on AIDS),
- 12 photos (passport size),
!!! Upon the arrival in Russia, the student should give originals (or copies certified by a notary) of the certificate(s).

Q: - What are the reasons to apply for a study via Contemporary Educational Programmes?

A: The Company was created to help applicants in their search of information and admission to Russian institutes/universities. We give a full spectrum of services from giving the available information about the chosen higher educational establishment or programs and up to the help to international graduates in registration/translation of all diplomas and certificates. You can make a sure, that the company does not overprice for services and training. At the same time, we make easier and speed up the process of admission, thus saving time and money of the applicants.

Q: - What is the invitation process?

A: Each foreigner for visiting Russia should get the visa in the Russian Embassy abroad. It is required that administration of the chosen institute/university applies for issue of visa to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation. After approval of the application, the administration of the chosen institute/university sends to the student the invitation letter, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation sends by telex to the Russian Embassy the sanction on issue of visa. The Consulate department can give out the visa after reception of the telex from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs only. According to the newly reestablished rules, the process takes about up to 1,5-2 months.

Q: - What documents I need for getting Russian visa?

A: In each country the rules, which concern visa process, are different. Please, contact the nearest Russian Embassy with this question. Please, pay special attention to the following points:
- whether it is necessary to have the original of the invitation letter from your prospective institute/ university (or the copy would be OK);
- whether (if you are intended to get the visa not in your country) citizens of your country have an opportunity to get Russian visa in other countries?

Q: -Is there an opportunity to get financial support for training in Russia?

A: The Russian Government offers financial support for training at institute/university for any student independently of his/her nationality, citizenship, religion. To get a support (which is an opportunity to study for free) an applicant has to show top results participating in entrance examination performed by the chosen institute/university. Examination includes written tests on 4-5 subjects and is conducted in Russian language. The applicants, who have shown the best results, receive the right on free-of-charge training and the state grants them during all term of training. Other applicants (including citizens of Russia) should pay for training.
There is no direct scholarship to the students, but the Government supports the universities. That's why the tuition fees are affordable.

Some of higher educational establishments offer financial support to students, but it is not the grant in full sense of this word. One of the most popular offer is :
-Reduction of payment for postgraduate training for own graduates.

Unfortunately, there is no state or private funds, which in full or in part may sponsor the training of international students in Russia. In connection with this, the best way to get a support is to apply for a student loan from the government of your country.

Q: - Is it necessary for me to have the policy of medical insurance during training in Russia?

A: Each student undertaking his training in Russia has to get a policy of medical insurance. The policy should be valid on territory of the country. Usually, the institute/university offers to international students assistance in getting the policy on services of the institution polyclinic. Nevertheless, it is not an obligatory condition. That is why students can use the service of any other national or international insurance company.

Q: -In what language teaching at the Russian universities is conducted?

A: Most of the programs at Russian universities are taught in Russian language. At the same time, some short-term and full-term programs in foreign languages (English, French) have been developed recently. That preferably concerns various programs in the field of medicine.

Q: - Is it necessary to know Russian language before entry in the Russian institute/ university?

A: No, but in this case it is necessary to take preliminary training on preparatory courses (Foundation). The courses are offered by reputable Russian universities. As a rule, the program includes studying of Russian language and 2-3 profile (core) subjects.

Q: - Will it be necessary to study the Russian language if the student enters program with English medium of instructions?

A: Some universities offer graduate/postgraduate programs with lectures and seminars conducted in English language. Despite it, these programs include the study of Russian language too, knowledge of which is essential for everyday life and some educational reasons (in case of medical studies - to communicate with patients) etc.

Q: - What services are included in the tuition fees?

A: The tuition fee covers most expenses concerning the studies: textbooks, instructions, access to seminars, lectures, required tests throughout the year, access to the Internet in computer rooms. Please, read carefully the information about universities' programs: some schools may include costs of accommodation and/or medical insurance into the tuition fee.

Q: - Is it possible to pay the tuition fee in installment plan?

A: Usually students of short-term programs (less than 1 year) are expected to pay for the whole program at once. The same is usually true for the first-year students. Other graduate students usually may choose how to pay the tuition fee: it might be paid either once per year or in two equal parts during the year (before the beginning of a semester). Please, be aware your student visa is valid for the prepaid period of time only.

Q: - If I have finished preparatory faculty of one the university, can I enter on study in other university?

A: Yes, but in this case the "new" university may organize testing of the student. Assistant with transfer from one higher educational establishment to another is included into a set of the services offered by our Company.

Q: - What conditions of transfer from one university in another?

A: The basic condition of transfer is concurrence (similarity) of programs at both schools. For the Russian higher education establishments, programs of training are authorized by the state and coincide at schools of the same type. Transfer is carried out by the written declaration of the student in accordance with established procedure.
By transfer from foreign university the student should send the program of training (subjects, quantity of attended hours, marks) and to confirm, that he/she has no debts for this period of training. As a whole, procedure of transfer of the student is quite laborious process and we offer you to take advantage of our services for registration of transfer from one higher educational establishment in another.

Q: - Is there any summer training?

A: As usual the curriculum includes 4-6 weeks of summer training. Be careful when booking air-tickets for summer holidays.

Q: - When do students have holidays?

A: There are two periods of holidays: summer holidays from 1st July to 1st September and winter holidays from 25th January to 8th February. As exception a student may apply for an academic holidays concerning his/her health or family circumstances upon presentation of the written application and relevant documents.

Q: - How do I get my study achievements recognized?

A: ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) is the name of a system, which the European Commission introduced to facilitate academic and student mobility. Under the SOCRATES/ERASMUS program, the ECTS promotes the recognition of study achievements between European universities and colleges and curriculum transparency. Many institutions have already introduced the ECTS in some or all subjects.
After completing their studies abroad, students' academic achievements (including individual marks) are transferred by ECTS and then can be recognized.
Information is also available from the appropriate department of the Minister of Education, which, among other responsibilities, is working on promoting the international transparency of academic achievements and is concerned with encouraging more international students to take their studies in Russia.

Q: - How to contact the CEP?

A: The best way is write E-mail message to us via info@cep.ru. However, you may also contact the company by phone +7(095)956-0094 or fax +7(095)956-7864

Q: - Can my parents visit the students in Russia?

A: Yes, it is quite possible. Because of local regulations Russian institutes/universities cannot invite the parents, our company offers our assistance. Using our service parents may get tourist/business visa, book accommodation in several hotels in Moscow and other cities, get guiding services throughout all their period of staying in Russia.


Copyright © CEP 2003